Up to Megalo Horio



In late June, I leave the lovely apartment by the sea. The local children have now finished school, tourists pass up and down and it’s even warm enough for the Syrian refugee ladies to wade into the sea in their flowing black dresses. The vegetable trucks drive up and down selling watermelons. It’s charming but not conducive to work. I knew from the start that the owner needed the apartment for the summer, and I need to be somewhere quiet to write.

On a hot day I clean the apartment from top to bottom and then carry the last of my things to the bus – the new island taxi suddenly nowhere to be found and the rental cars all rented out. It takes me three trips but I manage. The bus is mercifully almost empty on its way up, though I’m sure it will fill with people at Eristos. The driver stops outside the place I’ll stay for most of July, one of the large, shady studios opposite the shop in Megalo Horio, the old village on the hill.

I’ve also rented a space in the centre of the village by the church and the kafeneio. Panayiotis’ father had it as a pantopoleio, selling rice and beans and sugar and so on. After he died, Panayiotis and his brothers rented it as an office to the municipality, but recently the office moved and it became available. It’s exquisitely located but has no bathroom so I can only keep things in it; perfect for allowing me to live clutter-free for the summer.

Leaving my bags for now, I walk across the upper footpath to Agios Antonis for a swim at the little beach by the harbour. Returning, I listen to the cicadas grow louder in the trees around my balcony, until dusk turns to dark and they are replaced by scops owls. I fall asleep with a light breeze blowing through the window. And the next day in early afternoon, I walk to my favourite beach. I haven’t been there for months.

The valley is vivid green with thyme and oleander and other bushy plants. There’s a north wind blowing across the flat deep blue sea, making the Turkish cape perfectly clear ahead. After a first swim across the bay I lie on my towel on the coarse pink sand, heat seeping into my back muscles, my heels burning; when my body gets too warm, flies force me back into the cold sapphire sea. It’s peaceful, secluded, private: one couple hidden in the cove around the rocks, the occasional ship passing out to sea.

I walk back to the village and to my surprise and delight spot a single, almost-ripe yellow fig among the still-hard green ones, pick and eat it, a taste of wild summer.





6 comments:

  1. As usual, Jen, this is a lovely piece. I only wish that you had time to blog a bit more often.

    I know exactly what you mean about leaving your lovely apartment by the sea. I am lucky enough to live by the sea and can lie in bed listening to the sound of the sea sighing on the shingle beach. I would hate to have to leave it.

    Perhaps the best consolation is that by going to Megalo Horio you are returning to where your Tilos adventure started and subsequently became your permanent home.

    I really hope you will be happy in your new home.

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful you are back in your old stomping grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, Jen,this is a lovely piece. I only wish you had more time available to post blogs more often because you lead such a fascinating life and I love reading about it!

    I know exactly how you feel about leaving your lovely apartment by the sea. I am lucky enough to live close by the sea and I love to hear the sound of the waves tinkling on the shingle beach. I would hate to have to leave it and have no intention of doing so.

    Perhaps the only consolation is that you are going back to Megalo Horio where you started your Tilos adventure all those years ago. I very much hope you will be happy there and that the solitude will be conducive to making progress with your writing. Px

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so relieved you posted a pic of Lisa - for one awful moment I thought she had gone!! I had to scroll back to make sure I hadn't missed any blog posts! But your new abode and auxiliary house sounds absolutely lovely. The way you write I can smell the special Greek smells - which I doubt I will ever smell again :( Is there anything in the Megalo Chora that is not tourist accommodation? Do Greeks live there? Well, I suppose they must if you are opposite the shop! Good place to be! I hope you have a happy time there, lots of writing done, and lots of swimming and just enjoying life. And long live Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah,beautiful Tilos. Been visiting it for most of the last 30 years, until I got seduced by the distant mountains of Turkey seen from Lethra, my favourite swimming bay, and by the exquisite wooden gulets, anchoring briefly in Livadia harbour. But who can with a good conscience go to Turkey now, so I shall be back in Tilos again this September, as I was last year - hypnotised by its charm (as long as not too many others are!) for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds idyllic, hope you had a great Summer Jennifer

    ReplyDelete